The window for applying for this support is now closed.
The high streets regeneration and social infrastructure support is new bespoke support for 2021. This support is for neighbourhood planning groups wanting to bring forward schemes that will foster high street regeneration or provide useful social infrastructure. Schemes should offer demonstrable benefit to the community and should be delivered in the short to medium term.
If successful, you will be eligible for bespoke high streets and social infrastructure facilitation. If through this support it is determined that you are likely to succeed with your proposal, there will be an opportunity to apply for a follow up grant of up to £15,000.
The number of groups the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) can offer support to is limited. Therefore applications will be open for a limited time only from 15 April 2021 to 5pm on 17 May 2021.
Applications will not be considered on a first come first served basis during this time, but will instead be considered after the closing date. MHCLG will consider all applications in tandem and make a decision as to which will receive support. If a high volume of applications is received for this bespoke support, selection criteria may be applied by MHCLG in due course to help them make their decision.
What kind of schemes can you put forward?
Measures for which support could be provided include:
- Redeveloping buildings or sites for economic uses
- Establishing traffic calming measures to support pedestrian access to the high street, making it safer in the process
- Supporting the development of shared space schemes
- Providing for the establishment of seating for people
- Providing for the enhancement of the public realm, including signage, bollards, refuse bins, cycle racks
- Supporting meanwhile uses in vacated shops, including community activities
- Converting empty commercial properties to housing
- Converting empty commercial spaces into community facilities
- Ensuring community facilities are fit for purpose in future, taking into account future health and environmental shocks
- Supporting the development of new uses in the high street (for example, the change of use of designated land within the public highway for the seated consumption of food and/or beverages)
- Enhancing social infrastructure – for example projects, services and facilities that meet local and strategic needs and contribute towards a good quality of life; this could include health provision, education, community, play, youth, recreation, sports, faith, and emergency facilities
- Working with high street businesses and community enterprises to establish shared schemes to assist business viability, such as combined deliveries or the reuse of food not used in cafes/restaurants
- Supporting the enhancement of market and community facilities, such as shop front improvement schemes
Successful groups will go through a bespoke facilitation process that will make an assessment on the likely success of your proposals. It will suggest other potential measures to achieve your aims and will help scope the work required for the successful delivery of your project or proposal. Only when this facilitation is complete, and it is determined that you are likely to succeed with your proposal, will you be able to apply for the high streets and social infrastructure grant.
Eligibility for bespoke high streets regeneration and social infrastructure support and follow up grant
To be eligible to receive support, you must be:
- preparing a neighbourhood plan or neighbourhood development order (NDO) and
- be seeking to establish a high street regeneration scheme to reinvigorate your high street or a scheme to improve social infrastructure in your area.
You do not need to be eligible for technical support to access this support.
How to apply
To apply for support, you will first need to complete an expression of interest (EoI) and then the follow-up application form.
Please note, if you want to apply for grant and/or technical support, as well as the high streets regeneration and social infrastructure support, you will be required to complete two EoIs to generate two application forms. You cannot apply for the high streets regeneration and social infrastructure support in the same application as for grant and/or technical support.
About the application form
The application form for high streets regeneration and social infrastructure support includes questions specifically related to your high street and social infrastructure proposals. Therefore, you will need to complete an application for the high streets regeneration and social infrastructure support, and a separate application for grant and/or technical support, if also applying for grant and/or technical support.
The majority of the questions will be the same in both application forms, so to save you time we recommend first inputting your answers into the blank Word document. This means you can then copy and paste your answers into the two separate live application forms.
You must submit your application for the Bespoke high streets regeneration and social infrastructure support either:
- within 15 days of receiving it,
- or by 5pm on 17 May 2021, whichever is soonest.
Applications for this bespoke support is open for a limited time only and closes at 5pm on 17 May 2021.
This means the last date for completing an Expression of Interest form for this bespoke support is 16 May 2021.